Owners of the land up to this point were William Payne and Jabez Foster.
John Swain, William Kittredge, John Fitzapatrick, Alois Stopper and Lorenz Seiberlich owned these lots until the school district bought them.
Joint School District No. 1 purchased the two lots and built a one-room framed schoolhouse. We have no record showing us how this schoolhouse looked.
The contract to build the new schoolhouse in the Village was given to Chris Niesen for $1,740. This was a two-room framed school, with a rather ornate tower that held a school bell. The year 1888 was inscribed on the upper apex of the schoolhouse.
The School District bought the two West lots (lots 7 and 8) behind the school building from Lorenz Seiberlich. John Seiberlich still owned and lived on the corner lot just North of the school. These two lots were used as a playground for the school children.
It was decided that a furnace would be put in the schoolhouse. In addition, the second school room was furnished with desks and other necessary furniture because a female teacher would be hired for the primary classes.
The third schoolhouse was built with red bricks. The two rooms on the main or upper level were used for classrooms and the lower two rooms were used for playrooms or as a classroom. One playroom was for boys and the other for girls. The new school was built behind the old one. School was held in the old school building while the new one was being built. The date of the third school is inscribed above the doors, 1925.
When the new school was finished, the old framed school building was moved across the street and eventually used as the Saukville Firemen Hall.
Sewer and water plus restrooms were installed in the school.
The Saukville Elementary School moved to their new location on North Mill Street where the new school was built.
The American Legion Post 470 purchased the empty school building and used it as their clubhouse. This building had been used for the Saukville School for 97 years.
Oscar Grady died November 15 leaving his estate of $5,000 to the Village of Saukville. This was to promote the education of the community by establishing a Library for public use.
The Saukville Village Board officially created a Library Board and budgeted money for the purpose of getting a library started in the Village.
Saukville opened the new “Oscar Grady Library” at 333 Church Street on July 7th. The Village Board makes the first appropriation for the library of $2,500. The Grand Opening for the Oscar Grady Library was held on October 15th at 333 West Church Street. Chelene C. Golownia was appointed first Librarian for the new Oscar Grady Library and held this position for ten years.
The Oscar Grady Library was not funded by the Village of Saukville budget, and Chelene Golownia and many volunteers kept the library open.
A two-room wood building was built for the second school building for the Village of Saukville in 1888. This was moved across the street and became known as “Firemen Hall” and was used for weddings and basketball games.
A second two-room brick schoolhouse was built in 1925 by Concrete Products Company, which was owned by William M. Schmit.
Chelene Golownia became the first President of the Friends of Oscar Grady Library.
Friend of Oscar Grady Library had a cookbook printed to have proceeds be used towards future library projects.
The Legion built a new clubhouse west on State Highway 33.
The Village of Saukville purchased the old school building and lots at 151 South Main Street. This location became the second home for the Oscar Grady Library after fifteen years of being on Church Street.
The Grand Opening of the Saukville’s Oscar Grady Library was on August 22nd. Tours of the library were held throughout the day.
A new addition was built to the library which doubled the size. The library was made to be accessible to the handicapped. Extensive renovation and expansion of the existing library building was also completed. Dedication for the new addition was on October 25th.
Oscar Grady Public Library Librarians:
1972 Chelene C. Golownia
1984 Jeri Koepke
1985 Melba Borchardt
1987 Christine Karl
1988 Helen Mehring
2003 Linda Pierschalla
2010 Jen Gerber
2022 Emily Laws